Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Visit to New Haven

The other day my Mom and I ate lunch at our favorite Thai restaurant on Chapel Street and then took in a riveting performance of "Streetcar Named Desire” at the Yale Repertory Theater (every seat was filled).  The Yale section of New Haven with its  museums, restaurants and shops is the closest thing I’ve found to downtown New York.  I love the mixture of old-world stateliness with stone buildings and leaded-glass windows, coupled with youthful Yalie vitality.

These days, I’m happy when Mom does something for herself.  For over a year she’s taken care of my Dad who has Parkinson’s Disease.   Although it’s hard to be his main caregiver, she wouldn’t have it any other way.  My parents have been married over 55 years and have spent about five nights apart the whole time.  How many modern, busy couples can say that?  They still make each other happy.

The day was a perfect early October afternoon and just walking the streets felt good.  Later I dropped Mom off and we said our goodbyes.  An attendant had looked after Dad while she was gone.  Although I’m happy my parents can stay together, I know it’s hard on both of them.  That’s why days like these are important for my mother.  After taking care of everyone else, it’s nice for her to take care of herself.    

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading back through these blogs...I'd not received a notice in a while. It was good to catch up with you through your wonderful writing! XO

    ReplyDelete