I watch him shuffle around the house and know he
doesn’t have much time. I push back the sadness. There’s nothing left to do. Simon’s 13 years-old and in constant pain. His back legs are bent and twisted. Still, I look at this dog and hate
what I have to do.
My son Patrick helps me bring him to the vet. In the old days Simon could jump into the back of my SUV. He loved coming along when I dropped the kids off at school. Now he needs to be lifted onto the back seat.
My son Patrick helps me bring him to the vet. In the old days Simon could jump into the back of my SUV. He loved coming along when I dropped the kids off at school. Now he needs to be lifted onto the back seat.
My sons were 14 and 11 when this dog came into our lives. Simon taught them love, patience and kindness. He also taught them bravery. He approached each person who came into our
home without hesitation, determining if they were friend or foe. I grew to trust his judgment.
Today we arrive at the vet.
Patrick lets Simon walk around the grass a few moments. I tell myself the dog doesn’t know what’s
happening. We do, but he doesn’t. He thinks he’s enjoying the sun and sweet air
on a late July afternoon.
We bring him inside and the vet and his assistant are
ready. It’s the end of the day and the
office is quiet.
In the examining room, Patrick and I sit on the floor with
Simon. He's given a tranquilizer. We
pat him and tell him we love him. We
tell him what a great dog he’s been.
Gradually we feel him relax. He pants
softly. If he realizes what's happening, he seems quiet and accepting.
I watch this dog and think how there’s been too much death
lately. My Dad passed away only weeks before.
And although an animal’s demise is different than a beloved parent’s,
it’s still a loss.
Simon was my friend. From the first day I adopted
him, he followed me everywhere. He’d lie
in our dining room, one eye always trained on me as I puttered around the
kitchen.
He loved his treats and 4:00 p.m. dinner
hour. He loved our cat Rocky who he’d
touch noses with each day in greeting.
He loved to run. He loved our family. He loved walking outside on a cold Connecticut
morning, sniffing the air. He
loved barking at deer always tantalizingly out of reach.
Before the doctor gives the final injection Simon looks at me and I swear gives a smile. Its like he's saying its okay. I think of the first time we gazed at each other. He was 3 years old and stood in a cage at the
pound. He was one of the quirkier mutts in the line-up -- coarse fur, short
legs, odd markings. But there was something in those eyes. I saw sweetness.
After the shot Simon's eyes begin to close. I tell myself I gave him ten good years. He was one of the lucky ones. Patrick and I continue to pat him, both sniffling. I always loved Simon's velvety ears and can't believe this is my last time touching them.
After the shot Simon's eyes begin to close. I tell myself I gave him ten good years. He was one of the lucky ones. Patrick and I continue to pat him, both sniffling. I always loved Simon's velvety ears and can't believe this is my last time touching them.
Minutes pass and the dog grows still. The vet listens for a heartbeat, looks at us,
and shakes his head.
Even though he's an animal, everyone grows hushed at the sight of death. How can something be alive one moment and gone the next? We stay a few minutes and then drive home.
A week’s passed since that afternoon, but I still find myself listening for Simon’s steps, ready to throw him a treat or give him dinner at 4:00 p.m. I saw a deer in our yard this morning and thought of him.
A week’s passed since that afternoon, but I still find myself listening for Simon’s steps, ready to throw him a treat or give him dinner at 4:00 p.m. I saw a deer in our yard this morning and thought of him.
I want to believe somewhere he and my Dad are together. They always liked each other. "Good boy," my father says, giving Simon a pat. "I'll take care of you."

So sad. I've always said that a dog/cat has a way to let you know when it's time. And I believe they get to go to heaven too. Why wouldn't they? So for sure be comforted knowing your dad is enjoying Simon's company.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Karen. I also believe they go to heaven. If they don't, I'm not sure who does!
DeleteNo words. Tears.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ann. You had a special place with Simon. So glad you got to know him.
DeleteYou were such a good mama. You were both lucky. Life is good, if brief.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. We were both lucky we found each other.
DeleteSo sadly beautiful
ReplyDeleteThank you, Terri. Like much of life...
DeleteIt sounds like Simon had the best family and life. Taking a pet, a part of the family, in to the vet for a visit like that is the hardest thing to do. You write about it beautifully.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. It was really hard to take Simon in for his last visit, but we told ourselves he had a good, long life. It was his time.
DeleteOh, dear, I am so sorry for loss -- for your losses. What a tough time. We have two dogs and I can understand how much your sweet Simon must have meant to you.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Christine. Part of having pets is losing them when they get older. Simon lived a long, happy life and that's a blessing.
Delete