It was a beautiful late morning, crisp and cool and sunny, one
of those days when everyone seems happy to be alive and share the planet together. Musicians were everywhere. Some played folk guitar. One man played a Cajun-sounding banjo using a
foot pedal drum. All had cases open for
the occasional dollar to which we added ours.
Then there was Bird man.
Apparently he feeds the pigeons every day. Dozens of winged creatures gather round him, on
him, and under him in an aviary love fest.
I couldn’t decide if it was cute or creepy, but he’s being kind, so I
guess it’s cute. Across the way another
man feeds peanuts to squirrels by hand.
Who know New Yorkers were such tamers of wild beasts?
Before I knew it, even Paul and I got into the act.
Before I knew it, even Paul and I got into the act.
All and all, it was a wonderful day in lower Manhattan. Ann, Paul, Abi and I went to Balthazar restaurant
on Spring Street for lunch and then peeked into Abi’s NYU dorm room. What a magical place to go to college. At the end of the visit, we stood in
Washington Square Park and hugged goodbye.
I couldn’t help watch Abi stroll off to her next class, disappearing
into the crowds of New York, an independent young woman.
Ann, Paul and I were about to head home, but couldn’t resist watching Bird man one last time. I was struck by how much he seemed to love life, not to mention his birds. And its people like him that make New York such fun.
![]() |
| Aunt Ann and Abi |
Ann, Paul and I were about to head home, but couldn’t resist watching Bird man one last time. I was struck by how much he seemed to love life, not to mention his birds. And its people like him that make New York such fun.





No comments:
Post a Comment