Forty years ago I turned seventeen, young and dewy, so eager
to begin. If I could go back in
time, what would I say to this insecure, vulnerable creature? What would you say to your seventeen old
self? Here’s what I’d tell mine…
1.
Be who
you are, not who you think you should be.
I always thought I should be in a corporation since that’s where
everyone else went after college. After
several years it dawned on me I didn’t like this world. It involved marketing and promoting packaged
goods I didn’t care about. Instead I
loved ideas and books and issues. I
couldn’t summon the verve or talent to do what others did so effortlessly. I finally realized the problem wasn’t
me. I just wasn’t suited to my job. I was wired to be more introspective, quiet,
and well… writer-like. Listen to your
heart.
2.
Pick your
friends wisely. Be mindful of those
who make you feel good and those who drain you.
Keep the former.
3.
Take care
of your body. I think back to what I
did in my twenties (I won’t go into detail, but intoxicants were involved). Your body has to last a lifetime. Treat it with love and respect.
4.
Life is in
the small moments. Last year I had
to take a nuclear stress test. Part of
it involved being in a claustrophobic machine for twenty minutes. Most people would shrug that off, but to me
I’d rather be on a medieval rack. To
escape, I mentally went to my happy place.
It surprised me where that was.
Was it strolling the Champs Elysee or the streets of Rome? No, it was sipping coffee at Garelick and
Herbs in Westport, CT sitting at a table with a good book and an oatmeal raisin
cookie. That image brought me comfort
and made me realize small things are what really make me happy.
5.
Appreciate
your family. They made you who you
are. They love you. They’re there for you. Be
good to them. Be there for them in
return.
6.
You will always
be a slave to chocolate. Don’t even think
of giving it up as you will many times over the decades. But don’t worry… in years to come, it will prove
healthy. Yay! Who knew?!
7.
Times
goes fast, however…
8.
You’re younger
than you think. I know people who
always feel old. They were old at 25
because they weren’t 18 anymore. They
were old at 30 because they weren’t 25 anymore.
They were old at 35 because they weren’t 30 anymore. Whenever they thought they were old, they
were actually quite young. I want to be
like my grandmother who at 93, looked around her nursing home and asked, “Who
are all these elderly people?” She never
saw herself as aged and of course, never was, at least inside. Don’t accept society’s
scripts. Ask for a rewrite.

No comments:
Post a Comment