Dr. Christiane Northrup was on PBS recently, vivacious,
intelligent and fascinating as ever.
She’s a wonderful role model, full of advice about growing older,
especially for women. However, one thing
she said perplexed me.
“Never tell people your age,” she advised her audience. “Don’t celebrate your birthdays, even the milestones. Society will foist cultural conditioning on you, starting as early as 30.”
I had to think about this.
Although I agree there’s cultural conditioning (just go to any Hollywood
movie where you see sixty-something actors romantically linked to women half their age),
I’m not sure the answer is denying who we are. “Never tell people your age,” she advised her audience. “Don’t celebrate your birthdays, even the milestones. Society will foist cultural conditioning on you, starting as early as 30.”
And how can we hide our age? Unless you’re Halle Berry most of us look our years, give or take a few. You can declare you’re not stating your number, but for most of us, it’s evident. By not giving my age, I doubt anyone’s going to think I’m 35. And I’m okay with that.
If age shouldn’t matter as Dr. Northrup rightly claims, is
the answer pretending it doesn’t exist? If it’s just a number, why not say it? Why
not accept who we are and how far we’ve come? Agelessness and goddesses (as
she calls women) are nice fantasies. But
in the end, we're real women and do age and I don’t think that’s so bad. Milestone birthdays should be a source of
pride. The climb may be daunting, but
what an incredible view.
And doesn’t hiding age buy into the cultural conditioning
we're trying to avoid, that increasing years in women are bad, even shameful? Age is ever-shifting, who we are at a
certain moment. I know women who are more
youthful now than twenty years ago. I
also know young women with tough lives, older than their years. And yes, there are more wrinkles and creaky
joints past forty, maybe that’s the price of being mortal and having the benefit of time.
I have no problem saying I'm 58. I’m proud of my age. I earned these years. I laughed and cried and wore out many a pair
of high heels to get here. I find life
as exciting (probably more so) than I did in my angst-ridden twenties. And
the strangest thing is although I look different outside, I feel no different
inside.
My grandmother Nana never talked about getting on in years till
she lived in a Ft. Lauderdale nursing home at 95. “Who are all these old people?” she kept
asking of her fellow residents. Up till
then, Nana was comfortable with her years.
“Look at these legs,” she’d say to me, posing showgirl style. “Not bad for a 75 year old.” Nana was proud of herself at every mile,
radiating self-acceptance, and well into her eighties always had great zest for life.
In the end, I guess it’s personal. Some women don’t give their age like we don’t
give our weight or shoe size. And I get
that. To tell or not to tell is a choice. But there’s something freeing in saying this
is who I am, take it or leave it... like men do. I hope someday Dr. Northrup rethinks the age thing, especially about celebrating birthdays. She’s a cool, pretty,
intelligent woman. Knowing her number won't change that.
Agree? Disagree? Comments are always welcome and if you’d like
to receive postings by email, please fill in your address below. Thank you for reading and sharing!

Well said. Society can only foist on us what we'll accept, Older women have so much going for them that making a fuss over age would be silly.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Ann. Self-acceptance is the best revenge.
DeleteI am with you! I have never hidden my age, nor have I been ashamed of it. I am a better, happier person in my 40s than I ever could have dreamed of being in my 20s. I have a knowledge and a confidence that I find attractive in myself, and that is far more important than what might be seen on the outside. I hope to be like your Nana...she sounds like a great role model!
ReplyDeleteNana was a great model. I owe a lot of my age-confidence to her.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with you. Being the younger sibling, maybe this is where I got how I always feel like I'm the youngest one in the room, whether it's true or not. I'm shocked sometimes to realize the kids today probably think I'm an old lady. I'm still me though (but thankfully with a little more maturity).
ReplyDeleteI think we're always the same inside. That's why if you're young at heart, its hard to think of yourself as old.
ReplyDelete