“I see gold and white,” I tell my son Patrick. He draws back in shock.
“It’s black and blue,” he retorts, eyes squinting
suspiciously.We squabble on about this latest phenomenon dividing the internet. Several camps have emerged – those who see the dress white and gold, those who see black and blue, and those who see variations of either. The scientific lesson is how eyes perceive color differently depending on biology.
Still, Patrick and I can’t understand how the other can be so
color-blind, so stubborn, so unseeing of what’s clearly in front of them. Then I’m shown three versions
of the dress side-by-side and I see my own plus two others including the black
and blue.
I feel humbled and later, Dress-gate bugs me. What else am I not seeing? What else am I getting wrong or missing? I can't help wonder, is reality subjective? Can we not always trust our eyes? And maybe our perceptions aren’t off as much as just different from each other. Maybe none of us see the big picture, only what our biology's wired to see.
And is there a lesson here for world peace, more advanced communication, or at the very least, better fashion styling?
Oh well, I sniff when I find out the actual dress is closer to black and blue. If I was in a store I’d still pick the gold and white. It’s prettier. Even if it doesn’t exist.
What color do you see? Comments are always welcome and if you’d like to receive posts hot off the press, just fill in your email address below. Thank you!

I see a dress nobody will buy because of the horizontal stripes! Am I the only one thinking, regardless of the color, why would a woman wear this? It will not be flattering to our figures! LOL.
ReplyDeleteGood point. Now I'm wondering, are the stripes really horizontal or vertical? This dress is tricky.
ReplyDeleteMy son and I see it differently also:). Although I can now see either set of colors. Ambidextrous vision? :)
ReplyDeleteI know. I can see it both ways now too. Strange how our vision changes according to our expectations!
ReplyDelete