Thursday, August 27, 2015

6 Ways Immigrants Enrich America


I can’t say his name.  But it begins with “T” and is plastered on every skyscraper in Manhattan.  This Presidential candidate has his comb-over in a tangle over immigrants.  Forget that most of us are here because of immigrants.   
Now I’m not talking about criminals --documented or undocumented.  I agree they should be removed, as any dangerous element should be in our country.

Instead this debate has me thinking about people I know personally from other countries.  Many have enriched my life.  Do they all have green cards?  I don’t know.  I also don’t care.  Maybe I should.  But I don’t.  Not only that, I believe immigrants strengthen America in 6 important ways…

Diversity – The more you know people from other lands, the more a certain truth hits home.  We’re more alike than different.   I’m blessed to know citizens from Italy, Mexico, Russia, England, Brazil, Japan, Korea, Iran, India and Columbia.  They come from different lands and speak different native tongues.
They’re good people.  They work.  They pay taxes.  They own businesses.  They help strengthen our economy.  I’m proud to call them my friends. 

Food – Some of the best food in this country was brought over by immigrants.  I can’t go a month (okay, a week) without Italian, Chinese, Japanese or Mexican cuisine.  
In my small town, I love watching Tanaka, our local Japanese sushi expert make California and volcano rolls.  He gives a hearty hello and slight bow to everyone walking into his restaurant.  Many weekends we go to our local Indian place where we’re served Chicken Saag.  I can’t imagine our neighborhood without these flavors. I can’t imagine life without tacos or Chicken Florentine.

Language – You have to be smart to speak a second language, let alone one of the hardest in the world.  And we need smart people.  When I travelled abroad this summer, pointing was my second language. 
I have a Portuguese friend who barely spoke English when she came.  But she took courses and practiced and although she doesn’t speak the King’s Dialect, she does better than she did.  I admire her moxie and brains. I can’t imagine having to learn Portuguese.  It wouldn’t be pretty.    

Friendship – I get my nails done at a Korean nail salon down the street.  I’d been away a lot this summer and recently went back after several months.  When I entered, three of the ladies ran up, giving me hugs. 
I was touched by their warmth and affection.  I sit down and as they buff and polish, they tell me about their kids.  I tell them about mine.  Sometimes we crack up over our husbands.  We complain how summer’s going too fast.  All differences fade.  We’re mothers and wives before anything else. 

Culture – You learn from other people.  One night we were at the house of friends from Iran.  When we get together, we always talk art, politics, and the latest fare on Netflix.  One night our friends had a Persian musician over who played traditional music on his guitar-like setar.  His beautiful wife sang ballads in a lovely lilting voice. 
Everything was elevated to this beautiful plane.  I felt honored to have a peek into their culture.  All I could think was why don’t we open ourselves to each other more?  We can learn so much.   

Perspective – I grew up amid the protests of the Vietnam War.  I’m the first to admit, I can have a wary view of my country, especially when it comes to foreign policy.  And yet a Brazilian friend recently became a citizen.  She sent me a picture of her newly sworn-in self, beaming with pride, holding the flag.  I asked why she wanted to live in the U.S.  She gave a big smile.  “Because it’s better,” she said. I nodded and shrugged.  Okay, I’ll take that. 
My Swedish grandfather was an illegal immigrant.  In the 1920’s he came over on a merchant sea ship from Stockholm.  They anchored in New York harbor.  Without much fanfare (or papers), Grandpa decided this was the place for him.  He disappeared into the streets of lower Manhattan, eventually becoming a farmer in New Hampshire.  He worked hard and paid taxes.   He also raised two fine sons, one of them my father.

Isn’t that how so many of us ended up born here?  Unless you’re Navajo or Apache, you’re here because someone long ago (or not so long ago) stepped aboard a plane or ship or boat.  Maybe they went through Ellis Island.  Maybe they didn’t.  You’re here because of immigrants. 

And maybe that’s the strength of America.   Diversity keeps us interesting, relevant and exciting.  It’s what makes us colorful and cool.      

It makes me sad there's so much negativity lately surrounding "immigrant."
Maybe instead of shipping out other nationalities (and sometimes splitting up families), we could ship out certain bombastic politicians.  And yes, for starters we could begin with a certain someone whose name begins with “T.”

2 comments:

  1. Very nice perspective, Laurie. Funny how it's forgotten, isn't it? Gerald's family came over from Scotland when he was about 6. I like to point that out to people when they start shooting their mouths off about immigration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Karen. We're all here because of immigrants. That's cool about Gerald's family. I'd love to see Scotland someday.

      Delete