Thursday, June 11, 2015

8 Amazing Perks to a Weekend Alone...


Have you ever had the urge to get away by yourself?  I recently spent a weekend alone which was…okay…incredible.  And afterwards, I realized it helped in 8 vital ways…

#1 –I didn’t have to go far.  I travelled thirty minutes to a beautiful seaside inn on Long Island Sound.  I had a lovely view of the water and because I went on Thursday and Friday nights, rates were cheaper.  I could’ve saved more money and picked a boring business hotel, but that’s not what this was about.  I wanted somewhere beautiful and restorative.   
#2 -- It felt adult.  Checking in.  Having luggage brought to my room.  Tipping the bellman.  After 35 years, these are all things I’m used to having done by my more-worldly husband.  Later, I sat on that big, comfortable bed and thought how different it feels navigating the world as a woman alone.  It seemed strange, but I liked it.

#3 – It’s the right time of life.  Midlife females are in that sweet spot – kids older, more freedom, and with luck, we still have our health.  There’s something “anything goes” about this time. If we don’t start pushing the envelope and exploring who we are now…when will we?  Life at this time is like fine, aged wine.  Pull out a bottle and drink up!

#4 -- Solitude is important.  Anna Morrow Lindberg, wife of aviator Charles Lindberg, occasionally had solo weekends and longer.  She called this time “sinking into oneself” and believed it was vital for women.  She wrote the best-seller “A Gift from the Sea” about time alone.  Mother of six (including the famous Lindbergh baby who was kidnapped), she felt solitude essential in finding our true essence.  This in turn breeds confidence.   
#5 -- You learn about yourself.  I always knew I was an introvert with no problem spending tons of time alone.  But I also learned I need people and was grateful I booked dinner both nights with friends.  I thought I’d sleep late but rose at 7:00 a.m. with coffee in my room.  Everything was quiet and still.  I wrote in my journal, read, took long walks, and sometimes wondered what was going on back home.  Sometimes I sighed with contentment. 

#6 -- It feels indulgent, but it’s not.  Sometimes it’s necessary to step out of our lives.  And it’s different than staying home alone for the weekend.  In the house there’s always laundry, cooking and cleaning.  The dog has to be walked and the cat fed.  At home, even by yourself a few days, you’re still in charge and that’s a different feeling than being untethered somewhere else.   
#7 – Going away makes me appreciate what I have.  After two days I came back to my beloved home where my husband and two sons did a surprisingly good job keeping the home fires burning.  “How was your time away?” Randy asked, as I started to unpack.  I gave him a kiss on the cheek.  “It was just what I needed. Thank you.”   I realized then how Randy’s always supported my growth and exploration in life.  I’m grateful. 

#8 – It whet my appetite for more.  Now I’m working my way up to a weekend or even a week in Manhattan.  Beyond that…. who knows?  This weekend was simple, but it’s the first chapter of what I hope will be many.  Randy’s burnt out on travel.   One hundred business flights a year will do that.  So that leaves me, at least for now, to my own devices.  What’s next?  Dubai?  India?  Singapore? 
Is it time you had your own private adventure?  Why not?  The world beckons.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed living solo in my twenties, before getting married, but I've never really ventured out on a solo getaway like yours. There is this little B&B I've eyed for just this purpose. Maybe I should take the plunge and book it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it. There's something liberating in stepping out of our lives even for a little bit. You see everything with fresh eyes.

      Delete
  2. My mom has always been comfortable traveling solo. I am fine with going for a meal or a movie alone, but I have not yet done a long weekend. (I don't count business trips because they always come with built-in itineraries.) This sounds so restorative and blissful...I may just give it a try! I do send the hubby off for a boys' night with out of town friends now and again, and the solitude is blissful. Even the closest of couples need a few degrees of separation now and again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love going to movies by myself. A weekend was a first for me and I loved it. You should give it a try sometime.

      Delete
  3. I wish more women would do this! I was lucky enough to be on my own for most of my 20s. And now am alone for part of my 40s. The security of knowing I am my own best company, can handle the bellmen, the bills, the whatever--that is peace. At least for me. And moodling time is always a good thing:). Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It could be because I married young and never had that single time, I now crave seeing the world from time to time on my own. Especially since Randy's burnt out on travel. Something's calling to me out there!

      Delete
  4. I live alone but still long to get away for a few days by myself. I keep telling myself I'm going to so maybe reading about your experience is just what I need to push myself. I've got access to an apartment in NYC but also like the idea of being in the mountains or near water. I'm in CT too, lots of towns along the shoreline. Congratulations on picking a beautiful seaside Inn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seemed to resonate with so many women. I think we all long to be out in the world on our own at times. It gives a new perspective on life and ourselves. If in CT, I recommend the Inn at Longshore in Westport. Its lovely.

      Delete