If character
is defined by what we do, I’m in trouble.
Yes, I perform some worthwhile, productive services here and there, but
so much is spent on time-wasting drivel. Sometimes I wonder how much better, healthier
and smarter I’d be if I gave up a few of the following….
Spending too much time on Facebook – Between actual friends, virtual
friends and all those pages I’ve “liked” – Deepak Chopra, Dr. Oz, Eckert Tolle,
Oprah Winfrey, People Who Love Cats, Cats Who Hate People, New Yorker cartoons--
I’m constantly checking in. The strange
thing is I agree with every argument against Facebook. It's a corporate tool. It’s addictive. It's deceptively seductive and invasive. It’s mind-numbing and stupid and silly and…
wait. Eckhart Tolle has a video telling
the true meaning of life? Must
click. Excuse me. Eating tons of Chocolate – I prefer the super dark organic stuff so that makes it okay. Right? But a bar a day? Is that safe? And what is it about this stuff that’s so damn good? I admire people who say they have one square per week although I can’t imagine that monk-like discipline. I tell myself chocolate contains serotonin which is mood-altering and makes me feel nice which can only benefit my family and friends and everyone I meet. So I’m actually helping humanity by eating chocolate? Hey, I like that.
Going to bed most nights to “Watch
What Happens Live” –
Most intelligent people have never heard of the Bravo channel, let alone this vapid "wrap-up" of everything ridiculous that happened on the latest Real Housewife show. Brain cells whither, but
my eyelids grow heavy and sleep comes upon me like I just popped an Ambien,
unlike if I watch news or crime shows which leave me staring at the
ceiling. And in my defense I do watch
Downton Abbey and the travels of Anthony Bourdain, but I seem to
need stupid to doze and this show provides it in spades.
Playing too much "Words with Friends"
– I know this game of online Scrabble is a huge time waster.
And I’ve been told I get competitive which is ridiculous. It’s just there’s something so satisfying
about seeing that “You Won!!” sign and feeling pumped and ready to play again and maybe I'll get that triple word with the triple letter and c’mon baby,
bring it home to mama and I know I'm on my way to becoming the best Scrabble player ever and … ahem. Excuse me.
Sleeping in on weekends. Maybe it’s the getting older thing, although I know plenty of
people my age who jump out of bed at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday to go hiking. Curse them.
Don’t get me wrong, my brain has lots of plans,
but my body's comfortable and warm and needs ten more minutes so I turn
over and hit snooze. I know
writers who rise at 5:00 a.m. each morning (weekends included) and write. If I did that, I’d have seventeen novels by
now. Why do I give into my lazy side? Because it feels good? Is that an acceptable answer?
And that’s my
list. If I gave up even some of these, I
no doubt would be a better person. Maybe I’d have a Pulitzer or Nobel Peace
Prize or something to show for my time on this earth. But would I have as much fun? That’s the rub. The jury’s still out and probably always will be, alas. Now if you excuse me, I must
return to Facebook. What bad habits would you like to tone down for 2015? Comments are always welcome and if you'd like to receive postings by email, just enter your address at the bottom. Thanks so much for reading and sharing...

I am guilty of all five of these as well! Although I do try to limit to two squares of dark chocolate per day. I did give up on all of the Housewives except for NJ (my home state, poorly represented) and the OC (original gangsta housewives). My top priority for the new year is to spend far less time on Facebook, but seeing as how that was my top priority last year... Well, we shall see...
ReplyDeleteYou're in Jersey? We're practically neighbors. Have a wonderful New Years!
Delete