Today I had my annual eye exam, the least intrusive of all
check-ups. (Yes, I rank them). But even this once benign routine has turned high-tech
and threatening. What used to be a quick
look to see if I need stronger contacts now involves a strange, whirring
machine inspecting deep inside my retina. What used to be easy now
has me biting my lip and sweating as I watch my physician carefully scan each dot and spot on
the x-ray.
You'd think my doctor phobia would have lessened over the years, but its worse. Forget about waiting for mammogram results, blood work, or bone
density tests. Forget about the most intrusive
grand poobahs of them all, the gynecological exam or God forbid, the colonoscopy.
Forget having my blood pressure taken or pulse measured, or EKG’s. It doesn't matter. I’m a wreck.
I’ve asked myself a million times, what am I really afraid of? Of being sick? Of hospitals? Of being put in the medical system, a slave to appointments and procedures and tests? Am I afraid of getting older? Of death? The answer is yes, to all. And its because of this high anxiety I put off visits. I cancel appointments. When I finally succumb, I obsess for days, sometimes weeks. I finally go, but I’m reluctant and skittish.
I’ve asked myself a million times, what am I really afraid of? Of being sick? Of hospitals? Of being put in the medical system, a slave to appointments and procedures and tests? Am I afraid of getting older? Of death? The answer is yes, to all. And its because of this high anxiety I put off visits. I cancel appointments. When I finally succumb, I obsess for days, sometimes weeks. I finally go, but I’m reluctant and skittish.
I divide the visit into parts, which calms me a little. There’s the drive over, the waiting room, the
call from the nurse to enter, sitting in the examining room (the most anxious,
heart-pounding part), the knock on the door, the doctor entering, the
questions, the exam. There’s the possibility
of more tests, more exams. Something will go wrong. I’ll never
escape. I get so nervous nurses have told
me to take deep breaths. My doctor says
I have the worst case of white coat syndrome he’s ever seen.
The strange thing is I’ve enjoyed decent health all my life
(knock on wood) with only a few bumps here and there. I have friends who’ve gone through
life-threatening illness with more pluck and courage than I’ll ever
muster. And for the most part, I like doctors. They’re kind and sympathetic. Over the decades they’ve morphed from wise, older
physicians to my peers and more and more to bright young people. I think of them as the bookish, smart kids who liked organic chemistry.
And yet…I don’t like how they know more about me than I do. I don’t like how they’re the gatekeepers to
my body, the interpreters to what’s going on deep inside. I don’t like how they know what my organs need
better than I do. If knowledge is power,
they hold all the cards. And even though
well-meaning, this makes me feel weak, out of control, and even childlike.
The logical
part of me knows the medical knowledge I’ve gathered has helped and no
doubt, made me healthier. Still, it’s the
not knowing, the what-could-happen
that haunts me. Although I’ll never be
one of these fearful people who go years without getting examined, I wish I was
one of those lucky souls who take life (and medical exams) as it comes. I wish I could be brave and fatalistic. Instead I’m stuck doing my best and dividing
each doctor visit into parts.

No comments:
Post a Comment