You think they’re just wooden structures. They’re containers, made to hold people and possessions.
Houses don’t have souls. At least that’s
how I felt until I drove by my old home of ten years. That’s when my heart broke.
Our beloved, beautiful house was abandoned.
Our wonderful family home had ended up the neighborhood eyesore, the creepy neglected site with broken windows and peeling paint. It was like seeing a friend sick in the hospital and helpless to do anything.
I don’t know how it happened. Years ago we sold it to a family. They moved in and then moved out. No one moved back in. I’m not sure why.
Our beloved, beautiful house was abandoned.
Our wonderful family home had ended up the neighborhood eyesore, the creepy neglected site with broken windows and peeling paint. It was like seeing a friend sick in the hospital and helpless to do anything.
I don’t know how it happened. Years ago we sold it to a family. They moved in and then moved out. No one moved back in. I’m not sure why.
Now our once-green lawn’s overgrown with waist-high weeds. Windows stare back empty and vacant. A sad, lifeless silence comes from a place
once bursting with activity.
I think back to the days we moved there in 1991, our first
home after condo life. My immediate order
of business was changing the exterior’s neon yellow color.
I took days, even weeks, picking out the perfect shade of
warm beige with soft green for the shutters. In warm months, I’d fill a window box with ivy
and pink geraniums, going for that English country feel.
My oldest Patrick was a baby. I
look at the left back window where his bedroom was. Now it’s covered by a fallen tree no one’s bothered
to pick up.
I think of the morning Patrick learned to walk in that living
room taking clumsy steps, arms in the air. Paul came two years later. My two little boys, ages 2 and 5, loved playing
in a plastic pool on the front yard.
Over ten years there were Pokeman cards, Power Rangers and
skateboards. I felt blessed and happy in that house.
Now I feel guilty. Our
boys grew. We needed space. We opted for the bigger, fancier contemporary a few
miles down.
And now this little ranch stands dejected, almost accusing, the one I left behind.
Making matters worse, I read that empty homes don’t
sell. People are creeped out by all that
dead air and open space. People need to
see evidence humans live there.
People like happy houses. Who can
blame them?
Still, over the years I’ve envisioned a young family
moving in. I want this house to have birthday
parties, holidays and pizza nights again.
I’ve also tried telling myself it’s only a house. It’s not my problem. Why am I upset over this? And yet something pulls at me.
Even though this house isn’t alive, for me it has a soul. Like all houses, it’s an empty vessel needing
that spark of life and humanity. And like people,
you can tell the difference between a house that’s loved and one that’s unloved. You can tell the difference between a happy
house and an unhappy one.
Recently I received encouraging news.
A friend told me they heard someone had bought the house.
And yes, it was one of the cheapest properties in town. But it was bought.
The other day I drove by.
Although there are no signs yet of that young family, there are
changes. Brush has been cleared. The
lawn’s mowed. A pile of stones are piled to the side as if someone
plans to build a stone wall.
It’s like a friend has been given a second chance. This house will become a home again. All it needs is that animating spark. All it needs is that family to inhabit it the
way we did.
I drove home that day giving a prayer of thanks. I want that house to be loved again.
Very nice read, Laurie. We bought a new vehicle last year. My old Escape sat on the driveway looking so sad until it got a new owner. It made me happy that my little Escape would get attention again. The new owners even spruced it up with some window tinting. I guess maybe cars can have souls too? :-)
ReplyDeleteSo funny, Karen. Maybe cars do have souls. Maybe anything we love we imbibe with emotion, even inanimate objects.
DeleteI'm so happy for your sweet house. I get it. It sort of happened to me as well but some tech hot shot came in and quadrupled the size of our home sweet home and believe me, it was no less the shock and sadness.
ReplyDeleteThese places are our moments in time, you can see the memories so clearly yet what is right before your eyes is jarring.
I guess 'here's to living in the present.' Let our memories live on vividly. when we go back for a visit in our recollections.
Here's to living in the present, indeed! Now that this house is getting new owners, I feel I have closure. I can relax.
DeleteYou bring the soul to the house! And it reveals its soul to you. Symbiotic relationship, I think. Not surprising that you made this one sing . . .
ReplyDeleteI agree humans give houses soul. And in turn, houses give humans a bit of their character and charm. Very symbiotic.
DeleteI love this. I drove past my childhood home a few years back and I guess the neighborhood went to hell because there were bars on the windows and everything looked so worn down, but the pomegranate tree out front was still there and that made me happy. I think they do have something similar to a soul, maybe just traces of memories we leave behind.
ReplyDeleteI love that way of putting it. Yes, we do leave traces of ourselves in houses. Maybe that's what gives them their life and character.
Delete