1. “Tangled Up in Blue” -- Blood on the Tracks – Bob
Dylan -- I was a freshman in college, sitting in my boyfriend’s dorm when I
first heard this song. I sat, entranced,
listening about lost love and rain falling on shoes and heading out to the East
Coast. “But all the while I was alone, the past was
close behind. I seen a lot of women, but she never escaped my mind. And I just
grew. Tangled up in blue.” It’s
the first time I really got Dylan and what a perfect storyteller he is. It gave a glimpse into a world where people can
love each other but still can’t stay together.
It made me achingly sad.
2.
“Deacon
Blues” -- Aja – Steely Dan -- Another goodie from college. My boyfriend Randy and I would tool around in his
mustard-colored Capri between classes, zipping along the windy roads and rocky beaches
of Connecticut, smoking and listening to Steely Dan. Like any great lyricist, Donald Fagen told me
just enough to whet my appetite. “You call me a fool. You say
it's a crazy scheme. This one's for real.
I already bought the dream. So useless to ask me why. Throw a kiss and say goodbye.” Who’s
calling who a fool? What crazy
scheme? What the hell is this song
about? It doesn’t matter. All I know is I want to meet this guy and watch
him work the saxophone and cross that fine line. To this day, I can’t think of a more elegant lyricist than Donald Fagen.
3.
“Wanna be
Startin Something” --Thriller – Michael Jackson -- Randy and I were newly-weds
in the 80’s and this pop hit was the perfect backdrop to that fun, frenetic time. There’s
something stirring in its tribal, gospel-driven rhythm. Life was exciting and fast-paced and we were
young and ambitious and hungry. “Lift
your head up high and scream out to the world. I know I am someone, and let the
truth unfurl. No one can hurt you now
because you know what's true. Yes, I believe in me, so do believe in you.” I challenge anyone to listen
to this song and not move.
4. “Coyote” -- Hejira – Joni Mitchell – A young
mother in the early 90’s, I first heard Joni’s guitar-strumming tale of this womanizing scoundrel and couldn’t get enough. We’ve all known Coyotes, the bad boys, callous, fickle and irresistible. Sometimes I’d grab my beat-up acoustic while the kids napped
and try and play along.
“He’s got a woman at home and a
woman down the hall, he seems to want me anyway. Why’d have you have to get so drunk and lead
me on that way?” Ah, Coyote. Joni
sang of unrequited love in her dulcet tones and my heart melted.
5. “Hold on to Me” – America’s Sweetheart –
Courtney Love – Surprised? Me too. I came upon Courtney Love late in life, but heard this
song one day and had to turn it up. Yes,
Courtney has issues, but her voice has authority and presence. There’s something moving in this anthem to feminine power and passion. I get why she’s a
rock star. “We all get our glory. A little bit of fame. But there's
no truth at the heart of any of it. Just the brilliance and the passion. And
the bitterness remains.” This
is Courtney at the height of her talent, tough but tender, rebellious, unafraid
and unrepentant. I love it.
So that’s it. Randy's horrified I have no Beatles or Stone's, but that's like asking me to pick my favorite food or place to visit. I simply can't narrow it down.
Decades later these five songs still make me smile, dance, and cry. Mostly they’re about being human and doing the best we can. And maybe that’s what true art is all about.
Decades later these five songs still make me smile, dance, and cry. Mostly they’re about being human and doing the best we can. And maybe that’s what true art is all about.
What are your favorite songs? I’d love to hear. Comments are welcome!! And if you’re so inclined, please share. Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment