Heads turned as Nana tottered toward me in her signature stilettos. She hugged me, pulled back and gave her standard greeting. “How do I look?” I gave my standard reply. “You look great Nana.” And she did. Her bleached blond hair was pulled into the usual up-do. She wore white pants and pink top and even in her early sixties, Nana radiated youth and energy.
That afternoon she took me to lunch. We entered the restaurant where I heard the usual chorus of greetings from the maitre d, bartender, waiters, owner, and some of the diners. Everyone on the Cape knew my grandmother. “How’s business?” was her reply. Nana owned a beachfront motel in South Yarmouth and was always trying to gauge the upcoming season.
Over lunch I learned I was to be a chambermaid at a nearby
hotel. I had no problem with work, but
scrubbing toilets and making beds wasn’t what I had in mind. “I thought I’d waitress,” I offered. Nana looked me in the eye. “You do this job till you get another.” I knew better to argue. She was small but tough. In the forties, Nana had been one of Boston’s
first female steel buyers. After her
divorce from my grandfather in the fifties, she’d taken her two teenage
daughters and bought a parcel of deserted Cape Cod beach. Over the years that parcel grew into a
twelve-unit motel surrounded by luxury resorts.
After lunch we stopped at Nana’s beach cottage where we’d
live that summer, about a mile from the motel.
I was surprised to find two teenage boys in her living room. One ironed her blouse, the other set the
table. “This is Mike and Joe,” she
said. “They needed jobs and had nowhere
to stay. They sleep under the back
porch.” The boys gave a shy wave. I gave a perplexed hello. “One more thing,” Nana said, as she led me
into the kitchen. “I know how hungry you
teenagers get, so I made sure to have plenty of food.” She proudly pointed to two cardboard boxes on
the floor, each containing cans. One
held tuna fish, the other sliced pineapple.
In her own way, Nana had procured lunch for the next eight weeks.
Mike and Joe turned out to be nice guys and yes, they slept under the back porch. They left a few days later, but a colorful line-up of friends, motel guests, and boyfriends (mine and Nana’s) took their place. Many afternoons after work I’d head for Nana’s beach, enjoying the gentle lapping of the blue-green ocean and scent of Coppertone in the air. The sand was dotted with motel guests – families, older couples, and honeymooners. Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway’s “Where is the Love?” wafted from transistor radios. Sometimes Nana would call to me to mind the office while she ran out.
That summer I learned my grandmother had the energy of a
thousand women. Each day she greeted
guests, ran the office, oversaw housekeeping, and each night went out with
countless friends. She loved martinis,
dirty jokes and was known to leave her bed at midnight for a hamburger. If I felt too tired to join her for Johnny
Carson or go out the fourth night in a row, she’d shake her head. “What a fuddy-duddy.” She loved pink, wore it every day, and even
had her motel painted a bright bubble-gum.
Every Friday she hosted a cocktail party for motel guests,
many of whom returned each year. I can
still hear the laughter and tinkle of ice in the gin and tonics as everyone gathered
around the piano. “We’ll Sing in the Sunshine”
was the favorite. Of course Nana provided
the musical accompaniment and played piano as she did everything in life, with
spunk and gusto.
The weeks and months flew by. To my delight, for the first time in my life,
I found myself free to do what I wanted – meet boys, go out with friends, take
long walks, sometimes sit on the jetty and daydream. I sensed this summer was a turning point, a
stepping stone from childhood to the larger adult world.
My last night on the Cape, Nana and I went out for dinner,
just the two of us. She seemed subdued
and I wondered if she’d miss me as much as I’d miss her. As we were about to go she touched my
hand. “You have a lot of life ahead of
you, Law,” she said, her voice serious.
I smiled. “You too, Nana.” She chuckled.
“You better believe it, kid.”
My parents picked me up the next day, the three of us happy
to be reunited after so many months. Nana
stood in front of her pink motel, waving goodbye as our car pulled away. I turned and watched as she grew smaller in
the distance.
Years and decades passed.
Nana and I were never as close as that summer, although sometimes we’d
laugh at a memory. I still can’t see a
can of tuna fish or pineapple without thinking of the boys under the
porch. The last time I saw Nana was in
2007. She sat in a nursing home
wheelchair, thin and frail, her blond up-do long ago given way to a gray pixie,
stilettos replaced by slippers. At 95,
she kept asking as she gazed at her fellow residents, “Who are all these old
people?” like she’d stumbled into the wrong cocktail party.
That day I kissed Nana goodbye. She looked at me bewildered, not sure
who I was. A few months later she died. Over the years I’ve taken my husband and sons
to see her motel, long ago sold to a major resort chain and painted a sensible
gray. The sea is still blue-green. The beach is still dotted with motel
guests. The scent of Coppertone still
mingles with the salty air. Sometimes if
I listen carefully, I can hear strains of “We’ll sing in the sunshine” and Nana
calling to me across the sand.

I just sighed. This is a wonderful story. I was aching that Nana was in the nursing home and not wearing pink and not having her hair done; hate when that happens to older loved ones. Your brother pointed me you way and I so happy to have read this and now feel like I was there; could be a great book or movie.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Sue.
Delete